Cisco Meraki have released a new cloud-managed phone.
Gotta say I love the look of the elegant slim-line design.
The key to this deployment model’s appeal can be seen in the finer details of the datasheet. Just a few highlights that piqued my interest below.
- High definition color 7” IPS backlit touchscreen display (1280×800)
- Integrated GbE switch with passthrough port
- Rear and side USB headset ports
- Ambient light sensor
- Hold Transfer
- Ad hoc conferencing
- Visual voicemail
- Interactive Voice Response
- Extension to extension calling
Pretty standard stuff.
- Meraki Communications phones benefit from zero-touch deployment. With only a serial number the network admin can remotely configure the phone for a user or meeting room. Once online it will connect to the cloud, pull down its configuration and within seconds be ready to make calls.
- Wideband audio G.722 internal calling (G.711 for PSTN calling)
Was surprised that the datasheet appears quite limited in codec support. Honestly, was hoping to see Opus on that list…
- VoIP Fully encrypted voice and SIP signaling (TLS/SRTP)
Looking forward to following its mainstream adoption… Interesting times ahead!